Ashtanga Yoga Fundamentals
8 classes over 8 weeks teaching you the basics of the Ashtanga sequence. We will cover the opening chant, sun salutations, standing postures, some seated postures and the closing sequence.
The purpose of this class is :
- To introduce you to the fundamentals of the poses and the vinyasa (the movements between poses)
- To teach you ways to stay safe in your practice
- To help you to feel confident with the Mysore style of Ashtanga yoga. Mysore is the city in India where Ashtanga Yoga was developed. This style is a self practice in a group setting.
- To provide you with a strong foundation in Ashtanga yoga
Commitment to the practice results in a deep connection to the body, mind and soul, flexibility and strength, a light, comfortable body and an ease in movement.
The connection with the teacher is an important part of the yoga process. I work to learn about what each student brings to their practice and to hold a space where people can grow, feel accepted at each step in their yoga journey and to be recognized for their unique contribution to the yoga room.
This practice is accessible to any level of student, from absolute beginners to more advanced practitioners, and is ideally practiced 6 days a week (we are building towards that!). In any one class, there will be practitioners of varying levels – from complete beginners to people who have been practicing for years. This means that when students commit to the practice and come regularly they get to know each other and a friendly community of support and learning develops. Everyone realizes that regardless of the poses they do, we are all in the same soup – that there is no hierarchy when we are reaching for yoga.
Tuesday, January 22, 29, February 5, 12, 19, 26, March 5, 12, 2019
Cost: $140 + HST for 8 weeks
Pre-registration is required for this class. You can pay through:
- E-transfer to email@example.com
- Send cash or cheque to 74 Hurontario Street, Suite 213, Collingwood, Ontario, L9Y 2L8
- Pay by visa. When you register, I will send you an invoice that will allow you to pay by visa.
- Drop payment off at the studio before the first class. Please prearrange the drop off time with me so that I can be available to meet you.
There are public washrooms down the hall from the studio where you can change. Alternately, you can plan to wear your yoga clothes to the class if you prefer. There is a waiting room where you can store your coats, boots/shoes and other items you bring with you. Please bring valuables with you into the yoga room and turn OFF cell phones.